The use health information technology in Nursing
Assignment # 1
How do you use health information technology in your daily work activities? Does the CNO in your organization use the same HIT as the nurses at the bedside? What about those individuals who work in admissions? In order to develop an information system that can facilitate the ability to track share and analyze patient data an organization has to take into account the differing needs or views of various departments.
In this Discussion you consider the differing viewpoints of the professionals within your organization. Imagine what your colleagues needs might be and how they might use a HIT system to access and share information to promote evidence-based care. What are the similarities and differences in how this technology would be used by physicians lab techs administrators nurses informaticians and others?
. Review this weeks media presentation focusing on how the VAs VistA system demonstrates data flow across an organization.
Reflect on your organizations information architecture and the various information needs of different groups within your work setting. What constraints has your organization faced with implementing health information technology systems that meet everyones needs? Consider speaking with your colleagues from different areas about this topic.
Ask yourself: How does the flow of data across my organization support or inhibit evidence-based practice?
Title: Information Architecture one page 6th edition APA 2 references
1. Differentiate the information needs within your organization. For example how might the needs of an administrator differ from the needs of a physician or lab tech?
2. Explain the impact of these different needs on the implementation of HIT in your present organization.
3. Evaluate how the flow of information across HIT systems within your organization supports or inhibits evidence-based practice.
Assignment # 2
Visit the AMIA Video Library 1: Nursing Informatics Pioneers webpage listed in the Learning Resources.
Review the biographies and video presentations of pioneers who are of interest to you or may hold a position that you aspire to achieve.
Select two nursing informatics pioneers and conduct further research on their contributions.
Consider how their contributions have influenced health information technology and nursing practice today.
Title: Nursing Informatics Pioneers
Write a scholarly 3 page paper comparing two nursing informatics pioneers. Synthesize your thoughts using the bullets below as a guide: 4 references apa 6th edition
1. What are the professional accomplishments of each individual?
2. How have their contributions influenced nursing practice?
3. How have their contributions shaped the field of nursing informatics?
4. What lessons can you take away from their experiences?
5. What skills or ideas demonstrated by these leaders might you apply to your professional practice?
ASSIGNMENT # 3
What are the advantages of standardizing coding terminologies? And what is the best way to achieve consistency for information systems?
As Dr. John Glaser notes in the What Is Health Informatics? media presentation (assigned in Week 1) a group of physicians may use many different terms to describe one patients painful experience. This simple example can be extrapolated to guide your thinking about the obstacles that have arisen for information system development because of the varied and complex nature of health care.
In this weeks Discussion you evaluate the interoperability and coding challenges encountered in todays health care organizations.
Think about how controlled terminology and standards facilitate information sharing for example sharing data between an emergency care clinic and a pharmacy or between a primary care physicians office and a specialists office.
Reflect on the national health IT agenda as presented in the Learning Resources.
Consider challenges health care providers are facing in light of the national health IT agenda related to sharing data across information systems and/or controlled terminology standards. What strategies could a health care organization use to address interoperability challenges? Conduct additional research as necessary to determine possible solutions.
Tittle: Controlled Terminology and Standards a cohesive response that addresses the following: one page apa 6th edition 2 references
1. Evaluate the challenges that health care organizations may face when sharing data across systems.
2. Using your professional experience and/or information gathered through research provide at least two specific examples of interoperability challenges.
3. Propose at least two strategies a health care organization might implement to address interoperability challenges.